Thursday, January 28, 2010

First week, Personality Test, and Auction

This week I started as an intern at Perfect Productions. From now until May I will be here every Tuesday and Thursday learning about the company, industry, and planning. Over the past few weeks I had been able to come in and get a little bit of a head start by meeting with the previous interns to start work on the Bachelor & Bachelorette Auction we will be having in April, so on Tuesday I met with Jillian, the other intern, and caught her up to speed. We then met with Brian and Elissa to get a basic overview of what would be expected of us in the next few months. In our meeting with then, they gave us further information on what had been accomplished on the event up to that point. They also gave us our handbook and explained different tasks we would be responsible for each week.

The first thing we had to do after our meeting with them was take the DISC personality test. The test includes a series of phrases and we had to say which were most like us, and which were least like us in each set. After completing all 28 sets, the tally at the end tells you what is most like you. According to this, I fell in to the Compliance category. Most of what it says about me seems to be true. By taking this test I was able to have characteristics about myself that I may not have noticed, brought to my attention which was interesting to me, and a little scary when I thought about how accurate certain parts were. I am an analytical person who is often times very careful and precise in what I do. I also tend to have high standards. A weakness though, is that I do need clear-cut boundaries for actions and relationships. I think doing this test was a great way to start off so that I could not only learn more about myself, but also compare myself to everyone else in the office and see how we will work together.

After taking the test, our focus for the rest of Tuesday and all of today has been on the Bachelor & Bachelorette Auction, "Buy a Date & Be the Change". Together Jillian and I are responsible for everything related to the event. It is a fund raising event with a portion of the proceeds going to the Petit Family Foundation. We will be having it at the Zen Bar in Plainville, CT on April 22nd. Tuesday we went to Zen Bar to meet with the owner and go over some details of the event. Getting the date finalized on Tuesday was really important because now we can move forward with fliers, applications, donations, etc. Without the date, everything had been a standstill. Today we finished up most of the paperwork we need in order to get applicants and sponsors for the event and are making alot of phone calls.

I can't believe how fast Tuesday and Today have gone by. I feel like I have already learned so much in just the few things we have taken on, from how to properly set up and word a professional letter, to how to make a phone call and sound professional, to the importance of double and triple checking documents. There is a lot of work to be done and I look forward to the next couple of months and seeing how our event turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment