Monday, January 18, 2010

Open your mouth!


Today we had a meeting with Brian and Amanda to discuss what we have been working on while Brian and Elissa were out of the office last week. I learned how important it is to open my mouth especially in this business. If there are questions that need to be answered the only way they will be is if I ask. Both Brian and Amanda stressed the importance of sticking up for ourselves, if we just sit back and watch everything that goes on we aren't making a name for ourselves or getting anywhere. This business is all about networking which is what I have learned from this internship, the only way to network is to open your mouth and talk to people. If you don't then you will be sorry in the long run when you either don't have the vendor you could have if you made a phone call like someone at another company may have done. Its competition and to compete with other companies and other people you need to make a name for not only yourself but also for your entire company. If questions are not asked then how will you find an answer? It is much easier for you to ask and continue working on tasks than to not ask and sit and wait around while you could be working on the things that need to get done. This meeting was extremely beneficial because I now know that questions do come up and its okay to ask them. It shows that you want to learn and you want to get things done, rather than just letting the questions pile up so you can't work on the important things that need to be done. Not only was it beneficial for this internship it was also very helpful to hear this for my own life. Hearing Amanda and Brian continue to stress the importance of asking questions and making a name for myself helps me understand that I can't just watch I have to learn to take actions into my own hands and do what needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment