Friday, January 8, 2010

Importance of networking

Today I went to a guest speaker at the Chamber of Commerce in Bristol Ct. The guest speaker was Kathy McAfee and she spoke about women in business. It was very interesting and I feel that I learned so much from her. As I was listening to her speak about the importance of networking I was also able to relate to what she was explaining to us because as I have been working at Perfect Productions Amanda has also explained to us how important networking is. One of the most beneficial things I learned from Kathy was when you are networking you are representing yourself and what you and your business has to offer. I also learned how important it is to get comfortable and know I can be myself when networking, to have conversations with the people you are networking with and find commonalities between you and the person you are working with. When talking to people who may be future clients it is important to “perfect your pitch” and in doing this you make an initial name for yourself and that is what people will remember from you. When starting presentation to clients ask them a question that relates to your company for example, “Do you want your wedding to be one everyone will remember?” By doing this it creates a way for the people to become engaged and you catch their attention. I also learned that by giving someone a proper handshake can really make or break the connection you have with that person. Giving a firm handshake shows how you feel about yourself and your self confidence; giving someone a weak handshake can send off a timid impression of yourself. I learned so much from this and I now know how important it is to be myself when I am talking to people and not be afraid to talk to people.

We are also working on a fund raising auction to help benefit the Petit Family Foundation; it is going to be a bachelor and bachelorette auction. There is a lot of work that needs to be done to get the event ready, I have learned a lot about how important it is to keep contacting everyone involved and to make sure everyone is on the same page with what is put into the event. I am very excited to continue to work on this specific event, with local restaurants, store’s and radio stations involved with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment