Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Catch up day

Today I spent most of the day working on catching up on assignments. I worked on case studies and my themed menu. When doing case studies, I realized that there's a lot I need to learn about the business end of this industry. Since I attend the Hartford Art School and my major is Photography, I understand the design end of events, but I don't have much experience in the business end, because I haven't had to take any classes related to that. I learned most of my knowledge on how to plan an event through my positions in my university's chapter of Delta Gamma Fraternity. I was responsible for planning recruitment events, and social events like semi and formal. I learned important aspects like how to stay under budget, follow contracts, risk management, establish themes, create a menu etc. but I didn't have to deal with the marketing end. I always knew who would be attending and what the budget per person was. Through reading all the cases I've been given, and answering the questions related to them, I have been able to research terms and concepts that I hadn't really thought about before.

I really enjoy the fact that at Perfect Productions, interns aren't just assistants filing paperwork or doing meaningless tasks. When I was first handed my internship handbook I was taken aback at the amount of assignments, readings, and case studies in it. I'm so glad though that they are included in this program so that I can be exposed to new ideas and issues that I wouldn't have been before. I think its really great that Perfect Productions is so dedicated to helping their interns succeed and learn all that they need in this field. Elissa, Brian, and Amanda always take time to stop and tell Jillian and I little tips that they have learned through experience that we wouldn't have known otherwise. I'm excited to see what I'll learn next...

No comments:

Post a Comment