Monday, October 19, 2009

Get Your Interns Thinking.


Elissa gave me a exercise to do one day in the office. It was; if I was an event planner and stuck on a deserted island and all I had with me was my tool box, what would I put in it and why.

A few items I have on my list are pens, paper, glue of all types, scissors. and a hammer. Why did I pick these items. A pen so I can write with and draw a floor plan, paper so I can write on. I choose glue types of super glue, Elmers glue and Modge Podge (its amazing) and I choose them so I can make things and hold object together. Scissors to cut things down in size or cut string or rope. A hammer would be in my tool box because you can use to put things together or break things down. Some other items are a tide to-go pen, travelers sewing kit, and band aids. You truly never know when any of these objects will come in hand but it is always a good call to have them at every event.

After making the list of items there were a few questions she wanted me to answer. Why am I completing this exercise, what did I learn from it and How would I apply this exercise into my work as an Event Planner?

My answer to the first question was that I was doing to the excercise to test my knowledge on how to pack for all events and what is necessary to bring incase anything goes wrong, I will be prepared for all situations to my best ability.

The second question of what did I learn, I said that I learned that there are many items that you need to have on your packing list as an event planner,you must think of all situtaions that can go wrong and prepare for them before hand.

And lastly how will I apply this to my work as an Event planner. I said in the future I will use this exercise to help me pack for my events and be ready for any situtaion that may occur. It may seem silly to have a few of the items on me at all time but it is smart to be prepared for anything.

5 comments:

  1. I find your articles very interested, yet unfinished. Being in the Event Planning industry for over 20 years now, I know that there is much more to a tool box then scissors, pens, paper, & glue. I love the topics that you have and I think it is a wonderful excercise for an intern, but there is nothing to keep the event planner who has been doing this for years wanting to come back to read your article. What you need to do is elaborate...tell me aomething I don't know!!

    Looking forward to reading more...

    N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalee is right Tasha - this assignment was not so much to make you realize what to pack - but more to make you understand how you are going to solve the problems when you get their.

    Brian and I did a Wedding on Martha's Vineyard last year, and we had to anticipate every issue that could possibly happen and how we were going to fix it. There was no running to Wal-Mart, by the time we made the ferry reservations, took the hour long ferry ride to the mainland, drove to the store, did the shopping, drove back to the ferry, took the boat back to the Island and got back to the site - the wedding would have been over.

    Lets expand on this a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I choose my items I had to think why I should bring it. I would make a scenario up in my head and think about what it would take to fix the problem without having to leave the event site. Packing the items and always having them with you will only make you better prepared. As an event planner you have to be fully prepared for anything, the client should not see you panic and run around store to store to fix something. Remain calm and just look in your tool box. While packing the tool box think about all cause and effect situations and choose the items that will best fix the problems at hand.

    I have learned that you must always be ready for anything and by thinking ahead about even the craziest scenarios you must always be prepared for the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the thinking process, but you still haven't told me what I should have in my tool box?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalee,

    Some items I have chosen to be in my tool box besides glue, scissors, and paper are;

    candle
    flash light
    matches or lighter
    nail polish remover
    Sewing kit
    Tide to-go pens
    Advil
    Anti-bacterial cream
    Hammer
    Wire
    tape
    bobby pins
    exacto knife
    a complete first aid kit.

    ReplyDelete